Tuesday, September 24, 2013

33 Years Later

Every year, I take a birthday photo. Here's to you, 33.
Heh, heh.
Today is my 33rd birthday. It was weird spending it at work, as I always make an effort to be somewhere wonderful (usually Disney-related) on my actual birthday. But this year, my birthday Disneyland trip is the weekend following my birthday, so I went into the office. I had a nice (free) lunch at work with my friends.
Then I came home, had leftovers, made muffins for a co-worker, and watched repeats of Will & Grace.

It was a less-than-eventful day.

Every year, I go through the same thing: I get excited for my birthday, because I LOVE to celebrate people's birthdays. I always find the perfect card, a great gift, bake them something special. Because I do so much for other people on their birthdays, every year I expect that THIS will be the year where I have it reciprocated. No such luck. Of course, my friends send me birthday texts...I appreciate the thought, but there's nothing like getting a card in the mail which shows that the person actually had to think of your upcoming birthday in enough time to send a piece of delightfully old-fashioned snail mail. There are always friends that I think I'm closer to than I really am...no card, no nothing. So weird to me.

I realize I probably sound like a bitter, whiny bitch right now, and I don't really care. I feel like I do a lot for others year-round, and when my birthday comes, I'm left just like this year—at home, by myself, doing something for someone else. Guess I'll never learn.

3 comments:

  1. Your card is waiting with your present for your arrival :) it's a perfect card if I do say so myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be giving you your goodies in person this Saturday! :D

    ReplyDelete